Edmonton Oilers goaltender Stuart Skinner has spoken publicly about the growing wave of criticism from fans who want him taken off the roster.
Skinner has been under heavy scrutiny this season, with many pointing to inconsistent performances and key-game struggles as reasons for the frustration. Calls for change intensified after Tuesday’s 8–3 loss to the Dallas Stars, where Skinner allowed four goals on just eight shots before being pulled.
When asked about the backlash, Skinner didn’t shy away from acknowledging the pressure:
“It’s happened a lot here. I felt bad for him — and it’s happened to me too,” Skinner said. “This kind of thing happens around the league. Goalies are expected to make big saves in big moments. There’s only so much I can say. It’s part of the position.”
Skinner also made it clear that, despite the criticism, he still wants to be an Oiler.
> “Of course. I want to be in the NHL,” Skinner added. “Fans keep shouting, ‘We need a better goalie!’ or ‘We need a bigger goalie!’ Sure, I hear it. But I want to be here. I can’t control what fans say.”
Skinner is currently in the second year of a three-year, $7.8 million contract. So far this season, he has an 8–7–3 record, with a 3.18 goals-against average and a .878 save percentage.
Former NHL Goalie Says Skinner Isn’t the Real Issue
Not everyone believes Skinner deserves the bulk of the blame. Former NHL netminder Martin Biron defended him during an appearance on SC with Jay Onrait, arguing that the Oilers’ struggles go beyond goaltending numbers.
According to Biron, Skinner’s statistical performance isn’t nearly as bad as the narrative suggests:
“I don’t think Stuart Skinner is the problem,” Biron said. “His goals saved above expectation ranks around 32nd or 33rd out of more than 70 goalies. That’s middle of the pack. The bigger issue is that the team seems to have lost confidence in him.”
The Oilers, sitting at 10–10–5, will look to regroup as they prepare to face the Seattle Kraken (11–6–6) on Saturday at Climate Pledge Arena.







